"providing academic assistance, life skills and tennis to New Orleans public school children"
"Academy Tennis" Program Requirements
Admission to the “Academy Tennis” program will be competitive. During the summer and through the school year, children (ages 7-11) who participate in A’s & Aces will be evaluated for interest and ability. Parental interest and economic need will also be assessed.
Requirements for “Academy Tennis” participants are:
· Continuing participation in the academic side of A’s & Aces
· Maintaining satisfactory grades in schoolwork at all times
· Regular attendance at school at all times
· Proper conduct at all times
· Regular attendance at tennis practices
· Committed parental participation
· A pledge to return, assist and encourage new players
A Path to College
As former university coaches, Schumacher and Monhartova will be involved in matching prospective student-athletes with appropriate universities.
There are approximately 320 Division I women’s tennis teams, most of which give 8 full-scholarships. There are fewer men’s teams and fewer scholarships allowed by the NCAA, but, as with the women, Division II, Junior College, and NAIA teams also give scholarships.